Friday, July 23, 2004

So Many Books...

The publication of the NEA's Reading at Risk study, and my impending birthday, got me thinking about just how little time there is left to read all those books.  The analyst in me devised a metric:  the Book-Life Number.  Your Book-Life Number is your remaining life expectancy in years times the number of books you expect to read per year.  The categories used in Reading at Risk are as follows:  Light Readers read 1-5 books per year; Average Readers read 6 books per year (a book every other month); Moderate Readers read 6-11 books per year; Frequent Readers read 12-49 books per year (at least a book a month); and Avid Readers read 50 or more books per year (about a book a week).  For purposes of the calculation, I've used 3, 6, 8, 30 and 50 books per year respectively.  Here's the table:








Book Life Number
Age

Light

Average

Moderate

Frequent

Avid

15

180

360

480

1800

3000

25

153

306

408

1530

2550

35

126

252

336

1260

2100

45

96

192

256

960

1600

55

72

144

192

720

1200

65

51

102

136

510

850

75

30

60

80

300

500

So what's the point?  "So many books, so little time."  Your Book Life Number has several different interpretations:

  1. At any age and reading level, there are woefully few books to read in your future.  (My Book Life Number of 960 looks incredibly puny.)  Therefore, choose wisely and read well. 
  2. If possible, accelerate your reading pace.  If I could move from being a Frequent Reader (which I am now) to an Avid Reader (which I once was), I'd be able to read another 600+ books in my life.  What a positive impact they could have!
  3. Weeding is your friend.  If your personal collection (reference books aside) is much larger than your Book Life Number, it's time for some weeding.  Again, choose wisely.  At my age, my future reading could be held on five 6-foot bookcases.  I own many more books than that.  I believe this is termed "bibliomania."  I must remember, and so should you, that the local library has far more books than you could read, or own, so take advantage of it.
  4. The average American reads 6 books per year.  The median age of Americans is 35 and rising.  Therefore, America's "average" Book Life Number is 252, and shrinking.  What impact will this have on future libraries:  their acquisitions, their collection mix, their marketing?
  5. A 15 year old Avid Reader has about 3000 books ahead of him/her.  How should we advise this person to maximize the fulfillment they achieve through a life of reading?  And what is to be done for young readers who are "less than avid?"
  6. As another birthday looms, I "lose" another 30 books from my Book Life Number.  Did I read 30 books last year?  Were they worth it?  Now that the pool has shrunk, what will I choose next?  What will be the last book read? (It seems that there's a book to be written about this topic:  Last Books of Famous People.)

Additional Source:  National Vital Statistics Report, National Center For Health Statistics